- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2½ cups cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup milk (I use low-fat milk)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Add oil to a 25cm seasoned iron frying-pan; place in oven.
- Mix together the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and soda.
- In another bowl, whisk buttermilk and milk with eggs and melted butter.
- Gradually fold milk mixture into dry ingredients, folding and mixing just until all dry ingredients are moist.
- Carefully remove the hot frying-pan from the oven. Swirl slightly so the hot oil coats the sides of the pan.
- Pour batter into pan and return to oven. Redeuce temperature to 175°C.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until cornbread is lightly browned and pulls away from the sides of the pan.
Serve cut into wedges or squares.