Makes about 2 litres.
- 12 large tomatoes
- 4 large onions
- Salt (I used about a tablespoon)
- 1lb brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cornflour (I used 2 tablespoons, would probably work with 1)
- Vinegar (I used about 300ml) + 2 tablespoons extra
- Peel* tomatoes (optional). Cut tomatoes and onions. Place is plastic or glass (i.e. non-reactive) basin. Sprinkle with salt and leave overnight
- Next day, strain off the brine.
- Put tomatoes and onions in pan. Cover with vinegar. Add brown sugar and cayenne pepper.
- Boil for ¾ hour.
- Thicken with cornflour mixed with 2 tablespoons vinegar.
- Bottle and enjoy.
*I peeled the tomatoes by pouring boiling water over them and letting them sit for a minute or so. The skin starts to remove itself.