This comes from Alison Holst's Good Food
- 225g Butter, softened
- 275g Sugar
- ½ t Baking Soda
- ¼ cup Water
- 500g Flour
- Boiled Sweets, finely crushed, e.g. lifesavers or clear lollipops
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Dissolve baking soda in water. Add to creamed mixture.
- Add flour to mixture.
- Roll dough out thinly. Cut with large cutter and cut centres out with small cutter. Avoid having too thin a border as these break easily.
- Place cut-outs on baking paper on a tray. Bake 180°C for about four minutes.
- Remove from oven and add a generous amount of crushed sweets to centres. Bake for an additional 2-3 minutes until sugar melts and bubbles; and the biscuit is lightly browned.
- Remove and let centre harden before removing from tray.
- Store immediately in air-tight container or centres will become soft and sticky.
Serve with a dusting of icing sugar (snow).