I got this recipe from Mama's Gotta Bake. I've changed the quantities so that it serves 2. Servings are cooked in individual ramekins, so the quantity can simply be doubled or tripled to serve more people.
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅛ cup flour
- 1 egg, separated
- 10g butter (about 2 teaspoonfuls
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ⅛ cup fresh lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- pinch of salt
- Raw, or some other coarse sugar, to sprinkle on top
- Beat the egg yolk and butter until combined
- Add the sugar and beat well.
- Add milk, zest, and juice.
- Add flour and mix smooth.
- In another bowl, beat the egg white until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg white into lemon mixture.
- Pour into individual ramekins.
- Liberally sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in a waterbath* in a pre-heated 180° oven, or until sugar caramelises and tops are golden brown. Be careful not to let the sugar burn.
*I place the filled ramekins into a large roasting pan and add boiling water to come half-way up the ramekins.