This recipe comes from my father's recipe book. He was a chef in the army, hence the quantity it makes.
- 35lb Apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3¼lb Suet (chopped fine)
- 8lb Bread crumbs or cake crumbs
- 4lb Sugar
- 18 Lemons, juiced and zested
- 2oz Cinnamon
- Butter for greasing the pans
- Mix together the chopped suet, crumbs, lemon zest, sugar, cinnamon.
- Butter the pie dishes and fill with alternating layers of apple slices and the crumb mixture, with a sprinkle of lemon juice on each layer. Finish with a crumb mixture.
- Cover the top with apple peelings.
- Bake for 1 hour in a moderate oven then remove the peelings and cook until nicely browned.