- 120g butter
- 1 egg
- 120g sugar
- 225g flour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ - ¾ cup raspberry jam
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Mix in the vanilla essence and egg.
- Add sifted dry ingredients. Mix until it forms a stiff dough.
- Divide in half. Roll out both halves to the size of slice tin to about ½cm thick.
- Line a small slice tin with baking paper.
- Place bottom half in the tin. It's fragile but you can just blend it together.
- Spread raspberry jam generously over the bottom layer.
- Place rolled out pastry (second half) on top. (It often breaks so cut top layer into 4 pieces to make it easy to move. Just blend edges together; it won't matter as it's covered by icing.)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in a pre-heated moderate oven (180°C).
- Ice (frost) with raspberry icing (frosting) when cold.
Tip: Strain the raspberry jab to remove the seeds, or use some other flavoured jam.
The icing is a hard icing, quite different from a butter icing.
- 2 cups icing sugar
- ¼ teaspoon butter, softened
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) hot water (approximately)
- A few drops raspberry essence or red food colouring
- Sift icing sugar into bowl.
- Add butter, and enough water to melt butter and mix to a smooth consistency.
- Spread over the cold base.
- Make wavy lines with a fork when the icing is nearly set.
What's your favourite memory about raspberry slice? Let me know what you think when you try this recipe.