This recipe is based on an old recipe of my mother's. You may know this as Lemon Squash (UK), Lemonade (US), or Lemon Cordial (NZ).
- 1 kg Sugar
- 2 cups Water
- 15g Citric Acid
- 15g Tartaric Acid
- Zest of 3 lemons - this can be finely chopped, long strands, of even just thinly peeled avoiding the white pith.
- ½ cup Lemon Juice (about 4-6 lemons)
Tip: do not use an aluminium pot for this.
- Soak the zest in the lemon juice. This will help to soften it.
- Dissolve the sugar, citric acid, and tartaric acid in the water over heat; making a syrup. Allow to cool.
- Add juice and zest to syrup.
- store in clean bottles, diving the zest evenly.
This makes about a litre of concentrate.
Dilute with chilled still or carbonated water to taste.
This also can be served with hot water; useful if you have a cold.
How do you like your lemon drink?
No feedback yet
Form is loading...