Prior to getting this recipe from a friend, my mother used to make a pavlova that included putting it in the preheated oven and immediately turning the oven off and leaving it there for three hours before opening the door.
She said her friend made the best pavlova and stopped using her earlier recipe. I made if for the first time and was surprised how easy it was, and so tasty after covering it with whipped cream and fresh fruit.
- 7 egg whites
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (I used white vinegar)
- Preheat oven to 145°C (300°F)
- Whisk egg white with cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Whisk in one cup of sugar slowly, followed by the second cup. One of the secrets is to add this sugar very slowly.
- Mix cornflour, cold water, vanilla essence and vinegar together.
- Fold cornflour mix into egg white mix.
- Carefully pour onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. It's good to pile it high rather than letting it go to wide.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Carefully remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Served covered with whipped cream and optional fresh fruit.
Tip: Do not put the cream on it until you are ready to serve it.
No feedback yet
Form is loading...