- 2 pounds Spanish olives, such as manzanilla or gordal, with pits
- 1 orange, unpeeled, sliced into 1/8-inch circles
- 1 cup whole almonds with skins
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 red chili pepper, halved lengthwise
Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish, cover with foil, and bake for 2 hours. Drain the oil out (keep it to use as a bread dip) and serve the olives warm or at room temperature with assorted cheeses.
Store in the refrigerator. The olives are great for snacks and parties.
I overcooked these when I tried this recipe. It could be one of the following reasons:
- I used Kalamata olives.
- Instead of sherry vinegar I mixed equal amounts of dry sherry and white vinegar.
- My oven may have been too hot.
- Instead of a chilli pepper I used a processed amount of chilli.
Whatever the reason, I'll try the recipe again, in a smaller quantity and check the process. I'll do it when I'm not partying.
No feedback yet
Form is loading...