- 4 large grapefruit (about 750g)
- 2 medium lemons
- 2 litres water
- 6 cups sugar (1.2kg)
- Peel grapefruit and lemons thinly. Cut the peel into very fine strips.
- Remove pith from fruit and cut flesh into small pieces, reserving seeds.
- Tie seeds and some pith in a piece of muslin.
- Add fruit, peel, seeds, and water to large pot and leave overnight.
- Bring to the boil then simmer until peel is tender and liquid reduced by half.
- Remove muslin bag.
- Add sugar, stir until dissolved, then boil rapidly until setting point is reached.
- Leave 10 minutes, skim gently and pour into warm sterilised jars. Seal.
I have a zester that produces long fine strips. Criss-crossing it over the fruit produces long and small strips.