- 2 cups hot strong coffee
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2¾ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 115g unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 4 Eggs
Tip: You can get away with salted butter by reducing the amount of salt. Butters differ in their salt content, so no exact rule can be given for this.
- Mix cocoa powder and coffee until it resembles a smooth chocolate sauce; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar until nice and fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add vanilla and eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Slowly mix in sifted dry ingredients (about 2 minutes).
- Add chocolate-coffee mixture and mix until the batter is smooth (about 2-3 minutes).
- Line standard muffin tins with paper liners and fill with mixture until ⅔ full.
Tip: Using ice cream scoops makes it easy to use the same amount for every cupcake.
- Bake about 10-12 minutes in an oven pre-heated to 180°C. Due to the small size of these it is easy to overcook them, making them dry.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Decorate with chocolate icing, coffee icing, or a mixture of both.