I've use fresh coriander from the garden for this. As can be seen from my Rocket Pesto recipe, these pestos are very similar in recipe. I omitted the garlic from this by mistake and found it was really tasty despite doing so.
- 2 cups fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, coarsely chopped
- 50g cashew nuts, salted
- 40g finely grated parmesan cheese
- 125ml vegetable oil (avoid using any strongly flavoured oil)
- Blend coriander, garlic, cashew nuts and parmesan in a food processor until everything is finely chopped.
- While the food processor is running, gradually add the oil in a thin steady stream util well combined.
- Transfer to an airtight jar and cover with a little extra oil to prevent it oxidising and discolouring.
This makes about a cup of pesto.
- 3-4 medium courgettes (aka zucchini), coarsely grated
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Beat eggs lightly.
- Lightly mix in the courgettes, onion, cheese, flour, baking powder, oil, and seasoning (i.e. everything else except the tomatoes).
- Lightly grease a shallow baking dish.
- Pour half the mixture into the disk. Add a layer of tomatoes, cover with rest of mixture and decorate top with tomato.
- Bake 180 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and firm to touch.
Serve warm. Nice with relish.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil (for frying onion)
- Vegetables, chopped into 1-2cm pieces. (I used ½ green capsicum, ½ red capsicum, ½ yellow capsicum, ~8 mushrooms, prepared basil, ~½ broccoli)
- 3 eggs
- 500g Ricotta (approx)
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- Oil spray, or 25g melted butter, for filo
- Heat oil in pan. Lightly cook onions and garlic. Allow to cool.
- Lightly cook other vegetables (either steamed, microwaved, or with onions).
- Mix eggs and ricotta until smooth. Add vegetables and combine.
- Prepare baking paper to line pie dish.
- Lay a sheet of filo on baking paper. Spray with oil spray (or use melted butter). Repeat until you have 6 sheets laid out.
- Place baking paper and filo into pie dish. Don't worry about crumpling the corners, this adds the the charm of filo.
- Pour mixture into pie dish. Spread to the corners.
- Spray/butter remaining 2 filo sheets. Cover pie, crumpling corners.
- Bake 30-40 minutes 180°C
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy.